Based on my twelve-year survey of over sixteen thousand people, the reported benefits of out-of-body experiences extend far beyond the limits of our physical senses and our intellect.
After an out-of-body experience, many people report an inner awakening of their spiritual identity, a transformation of their self-concept, and a dramatic elimination of their fear of death. They see themselves as more than matter—more aware and alive.
Large numbers of people report a profound inner wisdom based on personal experience and express a feeling of being connected to their spiritual essence. Overwhelmingly, they describe an increase in personal knowledge and a deep inner connection to spirit, while others detail a powerful feeling of breaking through a barrier of ignorance, fear, and limitation. A significant number report a dramatic expansion of their perception capabilities extending far beyond their physical limits—an overwhelming sense of knowing based on direct personal experience.
I have found that the purpose of life is to explore and discover the truth of our existence or risk being a mental slave to unconfirmed ideas and falsehoods.
Many remain unaware that out-of-body experiences are an essential element of every religion today. When you strip away the countless manmade beliefs and traditions that dominate the world you find that most modern religions are the result of inspired individuals who journeyed beyond the body. Religious texts from every culture are filled with bold out-of-body adventures and travels within the realms of spirit. The Bible, the Koran, and other religious texts are overflowing with statements such as, "I was in the spirit," and 'The spirit moved me." For example, a pivotal experience in the Koran is Mohammed's night journey. In the Koran, he clearly describes his experiences and encounters beyond the body and details his spiritual travels through what he called the seven heavens. In addition, many people today believe that the entire book of Revelations is actually a vivid account of the writer's personal out-of-body experience. Read the first few lines of Revelations and you discover the intriguing statement, "I was in the spirit on the Lord's day."
When I am asked, "Why out-of-body exploration?" my response is simple, I need to experience and discover the answers for myself. I find no comfort in beliefs, especially since they are the most abundant commodities available today. Every society and culture is overflowing with their manmade collection of beliefs and convictions. These beliefs change with time, evolving and decaying, while the truth of our spiritual existence remains the same, hidden under the ever-growing mountain of doctrines, dogmas, and assumptions. Perhaps the most important benefit received from out-of-body experiences is the recognition of our personal ability to discover the answers for ourselves.
I have found that the purpose of life is to explore and discover the truth of our existence or risk being a mental slave to unconfirmed ideas and falsehoods. For many, the time has come to recognize our true potential and to explore beyond the physical façade and the prevailing beliefs of our culture. The time has come for us to experience the truth for ourselves.
We have this opportunity today, self-initiated out-of-body experiences opens the door to an incredible new frontier of human potential and discovery. It allows us to explore beyond the narrow limits of our physical senses and discover firsthand the answers to the oldest mysteries of our existence.
Our great human adventure is the evolution of consciousness. We are in this life to enlarge the soul and light up the brain.
According to research and studies conducted by many highly respected physicians; Dr. Raymond Moody, Dr. Melvin Morse, Dr. Ken Ring, Dr. Bruce Greyson, and Dr. Stewart Twemlow, the transformative qualities of out-of-body experiences are limitless. Each year new studies point to additional psychological and physical benefits derived from out-of-body experiences. As I research this topic, I realized that the reported benefits are absolutely staggering.
As the number of reported out-of-body experiences continues to increase, the evidence is overwhelming that life-changing benefits are regularly obtained during out-of-body adventures.
Reported Benefits of OBEs
1. Developed a greater awareness of reality – According to an in-depth survey conducted by Stuart Twemlow, M.D., Glen Cabbard, M.D., and Fowler Jones, Ed.D., eighty-six percent of their three hundred thirty-nine out-of-body participants reported a greater awareness of reality. In the same survey, seventy-eight percent believed they received a lasting benefit.
2. Personal verification of our immortality – A powerful, life-changing event experienced by millions every year. Without a doubt, out-of-body experiences provide firsthand, verifiable evidence of our ability to exist independent of our physical body.
3. Accelerated personal development – The recognition and experience that we are more than physical beings opens entire new levels of personal development. I strongly believe that self-initiated and controlled out-of-body experiences are the cutting edge of accelerated personal development. Once we consciously access and control our nonphysical self, we can unlock the unlimited knowledge of our subconscious mind and harness our ability to explore the universe. The entire subject of human potential is dramatically expanded beyond all current concepts and comprehension.
4. A decreased fear of death – When we experience ourselves consciously separated and independent of our physical body, our fear of death is noticeably reduced. Fear of death is fear of the unknown. Once you separate from your body, you absolutely know that you continue. I have found that the more out-of-body experiences we have, the less fear and anxiety of death is present.
5. Increased psychic abilities – Precognition, telepathy, premonitions, prophecy, the ability to see auras and many other psychic abilities are often reported to be enhanced by out-of-body experiences. The reason for this is currently unknown but many believe it's simply a natural result of us becoming more open and in tune with our internal energy systems.
6. An increased desire for answers – After an out-of-body experience many recognize that the answers are available; many people begin a personal spiritual quest to solve the mysteries they have held since childhood.
7. Realizations concerning death – Out-of-body experiences provide evidence that the process of dying may not be a painful or scary experience but rather a wondrous, spiritual adventure.
8. Accelerated human evolution – The evolution of our species is not the biological change around us but the evolution of consciousness. As our world becomes progressively more complex, there is an inner need to discover the unseen reason behind the rapid physical changes we perceive around us. This need to know the answers to the many mysteries that surround us will take our species into the next level of human evolution. When we look back at human evolution, we see a noticeable transition from physical labor-based societies (agricultural) to increasingly intellectual-based (technology) societies. Eventually, our species will be ready for the next major step of evolution—the recognition and experience of our spiritual self and the exploration of the nonphysical dimensions.
9. Spontaneous healing – There are numerous reports of individuals healing themselves and others when out-of-body. Often this healing is initiated by a focused thought directed to a specific area of the body.
10. More expansive self-concept – Instead of viewing ourselves as a physical being possessing a soul, many recognize themselves as soul (consciousness) temporarily possessing a biological body.
11. Increased spirituality – Many report profound insights into their spiritual nature with a stronger connection to their spiritual essence. According to the phenomenology study conducted by Dr. Stuart Twemlow, fifty-five percent of the participants referred to their out-of-body experience as a spiritual experience. In addition, many report a deep connection to their essence, profound insights into their spiritual nature and a sense of being connected to something far greater than themselves. Whether we call it spirit or the universal mind of God, there are consistent reports of a powerful inner connection.
12. Recognizing and experiencing past-life influences – The work of Dr. Weiss and other respected physicians and hypnotherapists have provided convincing evidence that past-life influences are an important element of our current psychological makeup. These subconscious memories can be effectively accessed and explored through personal out-of-body experiences.
13. Accelerated psychological change – Out-of-body experiences help us to break free from old mental ruts and habits. On many occasions, individuals have told me that the shock of experiencing themselves independent of their physical body has given them a more enlightened perspective of their current existence. This expansive vision of themselves has been instrumental in awakening new levels of personal growth and understanding.
14. Obtaining personal answers – Each of us has questions relating to our existence - What are we? What is our purpose? Do we continue? What is the meaning of life? These questions and many more can only be answered through personal experience. Out-of-body exploration provides a powerful method for all of us to obtain the answers we seek. Why settle for beliefs when the answers are available?
15. Encountering a being of light, a past loved one, an angel or nonphysical resident of some kind – Many people report face-to-face meetings with some form of nonphysical inhabitant. Dr. Stuart Twemlow reports that thirty-seven percent of his study groups were aware of the presence of a nonphysical being while thirty percent reported the presence of guides or helpers.
16. An increased respect for life – A pronounced aversion to violence and killing seems to appear. For example, the idea of hunting and killing an animal becomes repugnant. I believe this is due to the personal knowledge obtained concerning our spiritual interconnectiveness.
17. Increased self-respect, self-responsibility and inner dependence – Many recognize, often for the first time, that they are the creative center of their physical existence. They often experience the vast potential and power of their inner, nonphysical self and tap into their creative essence. Many people have told me that they realize more than ever that they are completely responsible for all their actions, both thoughts and deeds.
18. A reduction in hostility, violence and crime – Those who experience themselves as more than just their bodies often realize the self-destructiveness of stealing or harming another person. This is due to their personal recognition that they truly do continue independent of the physical body. Since they now absolutely know they continue after death, they now realize and comprehend that their personal responsibility also continues.
19. A profound sense of knowing instead of believing – Personal knowledge is powerful and life-changing, especially when compared to beliefs. Out-of-body experiences provide firsthand, verifiable knowledge of our immortality and our spiritual identity. This profound knowledge cannot be adequately explained—it must be experienced.
20. An inner calmness – A feeling of peace that comes from personal experience and knowledge instead of grasping at hope or belief that we truly are immortal.
21. A sense of adventure – Every day and night is an opportunity to experience a new adventure. The author, Tom Robbins, may have said it best, "Our great human adventure is the evolution of consciousness. We are in this life to enlarge the soul and light up the brain."
The many benefits of out-of-body experiences are a reality that each of us can experience. All we need is an open mind and the proper guidance to access our unlimited personal potential. Our natural ability to experience our spiritual nature and explore the unseen areas of the universe is available, but it is up to us to take the step from being a curious observer to being an active explorer of consciousness. I believe this step is a critical turning point in our life and our personal evolution. The decision to explore beyond the limits of our physical body can provide an effective method to obtain the answers and insights so many of us seek.
Our journey of consciousness from the physical to the spiritual is a reality we cannot escape - our only real decision is when we will begin.
Explore Safe Out-of-Body Adventures with a 5-Day/6-Night Monroe Institute Program.
For more information about the programs and products mentioned in this article visit our programs section or the store.