Over the past two decades, William Buhlman has developed an effective system to experience safe, self-initiated out-of-body adventures. As a certified hypnotherapist, William incorporates various methods, including hypnosis, visualization and meditation techniques in his workshops to explore the profound nature of out-of-body experiences and the benefits of accelerated personal development. Through lectures, workshops, and books the author teaches the preparation and techniques of astral projection and spiritual exploration.
The key to initiating OBEs is creating a realistic plan of action and then following through. There is an old saying that it takes 21 days of daily repetition to create a new habit. This concept of mental reprogramming is especially true with OBEs. Looking back to my first efforts to self-initiate my first conscious out-of-body experience I remember that it took me 24 days of dedicated practice before I had my first OBE. It’s clear that our preparation and daily practice are critically important because it conditions our mind to accept our unlimited potential for exploration beyond the physical body.
Action plan for OBE Exploration:
- Establish your dedicated OBE exploration area. An area separate from your primary bedroom is best. A sofa in your living room can be effective; this has worked for me for forty years. Perceive this special area in your home as your personal exploration or meditation area. Many people create a unique energy space with an altar, spiritual statues, wall hanging and crystals. Create a space that reminds you of your OBE intention. Take note; your bedroom is not recommended since you are conditioned to sleep deeply in your bed.
- Every day confirm (write) your firm intention to have a conscious OBE in your journal and ask your Higher Self and guides for assistance. (Now I have a fully aware OBE!) Hold your intention as your last conscious thought every time you take a nap or as you drift to sleep.
- Learn about the various OBE induction methods that are available and select the approach that resonates with you.
- Select your ideal practice time of day. Mute phones and control pets.
- Create and maintain a detailed OBE and lucid dream journal. Record all energy/vibrational state events, even small ones. Make it a habit to journal all shifts of consciousness/vibrational state events after sleep and each OBE practice session. This journal process helps to open and reprogram our mind to remember our experiences.
- Remain calm and surrender to all vibrational state events. Never analyze, just allow and surrender to all energy shifts.
- When first awakening remain still for a few seconds and examine your energy body. For example, seeing through eye lids or floating/sinking is a clear indication that you are in an ideal state for separation.
- It’s important to know that separation from the body is not an automatic response as many assume. Often, we must initiate the separation process by using silent commands such as, “Roll now! / Door now!”
- Use your dreams as a launch point for OBEs. Focus and repeat, “Awareness Now!” during all lucid dreams.
- Be patient with yourself and don’t obsess with results. Treat the process like a relaxed daily meditation.
- Be completely open to all shifts of consciousness during sleep and practice sessions.
- View all vibrational state phenomena as nonphysical events. Focus on your firm, positive intention to have an OBE now. (Now I have a conscious OBE!) Your focused intention is always the central driving force of your experiences.
There is only one rule in OBE exploration - never think about or focus on your physical body.
Most important - commit to sixty-days of daily OBE practice. Daily repetition is essential to reprogram the mind to your new ability.
The selection of your personal OBE method or approach is important to the results you experience. Many people burn themselves out by repeating a daily method that doesn’t play to their strengths. Closely examine and recognize what kind of OBE method resonates with you. For example, if you don’t visualize well (and about 25% of people do not) the target technique may not be your ideal method. Consider what approach is best for you.
Generally your preferred OBE method will be the result of experimentation with different approaches. Many people are unaware that there exists a wide array of methods used today. Based on decades of experience we know that people respond to different approaches. If you are not seeing some progress after a month or so consider changing your method. Remember to always journal and examine your strengths. What approach will be enjoyable and will hold your attention for 30 minutes?
The following is an overview of the methods commonly used today around the world. We explore this diversity of approaches during the 6-day Out-of-Body Exploration Intensive program at TMI.
- Affirmations: (Repeated focused intention or silent mantra, for example, “Now I have a conscious OBE!”) Always attempt to hold your affirmation as your last conscious thought.
- Visualization - (Target technique)
- Motion Methods - (Rocking, flying, rolling, climbing, spinning)
- Tactile Methods - (Ladder, Rope, pulling yourself out)
- Meditation with focused intention (affirmation)
- Self-Hypnosis with intention
- Lucid Dream awakening (conversion) Sleep induction methods
- Sound Technology (for example, using Hemi-Sync programs combined with your personal OBE affirmations or method)
- Chakra activation methods with affirmations
- Night time sound beacons (Hypnotic fractionation programming)
- Shamanic methods
- Early morning Method (awakening after 4 hours of sleep and moving from your bedroom to your designated OBE area)
The practice of OBEs is much like meditation; our commitment, daily practice and openness to shifts of consciousness are our greatest assets. Focus your intention and enjoy the entire process. As Bob Monroe would often say, “Have fun with it.”
For more information about the programs and products mentioned in this article visit our programs section or the store.